Template web site - comments invited

You can use this section of the forum to show your website created with WYSIWYG Web Builder to other users.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST or your post may be deleted!

This forum is for users to display their websites created with WYSIWYG Web Builder.

Rules for posting in this section:
1) Do not ask any WYSIWYG Web Builder help or support related questions here.
2) Do not Promote your website on somebody elses thread.
3) Do not start more than one thread about your site.
4) Do not say anything negative or mean about somebody's site. Constructive criticism is great and encouraged, but being deliberately nasty will not be tolerated.
5) Do not post any site that is not created with WYSIWYG Web Builder.
6) Do not BUMP your post unnecessarily/repetitively.
7) Do not speak/type in another language than English. That way everyone can understand you.
alan_sh

Template web site - comments invited

Post by alan_sh »

I'm creating a WWB template that I can use for 4-5 web sites that I maintain. But before I dive in and actually update the existing files, I'd appreciate any feedback on what I have got so far.

You can find it at https://pennine2020.penninescouts.org.uk/index.html

A few points to note:
there are some blank pages (apart from the header) which is where site specific stuff will go
The "Events" page is a placeholder for trying things out.
I have set the following breakpoints
  • 1280 - for normal desktops
    980 - fits the iPad/tablets in landscape mode
    800 - fits the 10.5" tablets in portrait mode (and some smaller tablets in landscape)
    700 - fits most tablets in portrait mode and some phones in landscape mode
    320 - the default for most phones in portrait mode
So, comments/feedback welcomed.

cheers

Alan
gano101

Re: Template web site - comments invited

Post by gano101 »

Hi mate

In no particular order and all meant in a positive constructive way :)

• The "be a scout" and "leaders and parents" text is bordering on unreadable and it looks like they're graphics that are skewed out of their original ratio. You can likely achieve a better result using web-safe fonts using Using @font-face

The graphics sliding up over the logos and text below them on the homepage it distracting and IMHO doesn't look great

On several of the pages the text feels cramped together and small. show a little love to the fonts you use, their style colour and size etc.

Using header tags will help with your SEO, there's some good help pages within WYSIWYG documentation

There was a link to http://penninescouts.org.uk/ which in contract looks much more polished and tidy.

On some of the pages with more text on them and the text goes to the bottom of the page, it kinda feels that there's more text hidden below the surface because the existing text go right to the bottom of the page/screen. It might be an idea to use a footer, this can also include some useful info/links to give it a more practical use.

ANYway, that's all from me (you'll be glad to hear) there's a lot of work gone into it, I think it just needs a little more care and thought how it delivers all the great content to the visitor.

Hope it helps

Barry
alan_sh

Re: Template web site - comments invited

Post by alan_sh »

Thank you Barry. Very helpful comments.

Alan