MP3 download link

Issues related to hyperlinks and web site navigation.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/links.html
Rick47

MP3 download link

Post by Rick47 »

How do I create a download link for an MP3 file. I've searched the forum and I can see references to MP3 downloads on a phone, but nothing else. I have a link set up but it wants to play the file rather than download it.
I added in download="myfile.mp3" into the advanced, but that appears to do nothing. I'm sure there is a simple answer to this, but I can't find it.
Pablo

Re: MP3 download link

Post by Pablo »

The behavior of downloads is determined by the browser configuration.
By default, this will open the audio player.

I am not sure if you can overwrite this behavior. The user is in control.
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

I did a google search and found this you could try:

https://gist.github.com/jmharris903/4235874
Rick47

Post by Rick47 »

Thanks crispy68, I saw a similar page with near identical code, but the problem is I need to show a table with many files to download.
In these days where mp3s are a ubiquitous commodity and are transferred and downloaded by millions on a minute by minute basis, I would have thought that there would be a simple solution.
I have over 700 78s that I'm transferring to mp3. I can send them in mail, I can upload them to a destination, but I can't find code that will allow a user to download them from my website. Bizarre!
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Could you have a link as you said above but have instructions which says 'left click to play, right click to download'? I am sure most browsers support a right click to include a 'save as'.

Alan
Rick47

Post by Rick47 »

The code crispy68 offered seems only to work with IE, but I suspect that this code has been around for quite a while and when most users had only IE as a browser option. I have gone for the 'Right click to download ' option as it seems that it is the only option.
Thanks for everyone's input.