Portrait Photos and rotation

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
alan_sh

Portrait Photos and rotation

Post by alan_sh »

Pablo,

I am confused. I have portrait photos from my phone (Android). When I add those into WWB by dragging them, they appear as I want (portrait orientation). I also have portrait photos from my Canon camera. When I drag those in, they come out rotated sideways (landscape orientation) and I can't rotate them. So what is different about my Canon pictures that WWB can't cope? What bit of metadata are you looking for?

Windows viewer and Photoshop seem to manage OK.

An example project is here https://www.dropbox.com/s/wodt88xq1ngbi ... t.zip?dl=1 with one picture of each type - first one is from my phone, second from my camera. Both uncropped and not resized at all.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Alan
Bluesman

Re: Portrait Photos and rotation

Post by Bluesman »

Hi Alan. I tested your photos in the WWB project file. I'm using the latest ver 15.0.7. The second photo sure is in landscape and it works to rotate it. No problem.
But the problem that it turns to landscape when placing it into WWB is most likely that the "Auto rotating" settings in the camera doesn't work with WWB. I opened the photo in Photoshop, saved it and placed it in the WWB project. Worked...
"Make My Day"

See my Website
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Bluesman,

Thanks for that. What I would like is for the auto-rotate settings to recognise my Canon pictures. But as a workaround, I will try saving from PS - confirmed it works with PS Elements 14.

So what's the difference?

Alan
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Yep. Thanks.

There's one piece of information (metadata) that I have found that it appears that WWB ignores but other apps (windows viewer for example) uses. It's called 'rotate left / rotate right' and on the picture that goes in the wrong way, it's set to 90. On the other picture it's set to 0. When I run the 'bad' picture through PS Elements, the value gets reset to 0 (and the photo is obviously rotated).

So, I do understand that WWB ignores any rotation info and puts the picture in exactly as it gets it - but it would be nice to have the option of it looking at meta data and doing the rotation itself. The issue is compounded when I want a photo collage or similar and I don't have the luxury of getting WWB to rotate it for me - I have to go through each picture and import/export using PS Elements.

regards

Alan
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The reason why the data is ignored by WWB is because the browser also ignores it. The image will be published "AS IS", so if WWB displayed it rotated then this was different than what you see in the browser.

In the properties of the photo gallery / collage you can rotate images.
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Pablo,

Thank you - I missed the rotate button (I was looking in the edit area).

OK - I think I can cope from hereon in.

regards

Alan