Master pages/templates

Questions related to the Responsive Web Design tools of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/respon ... esign.html
Please read this first before posting any questions! Also check out the example project to get an idea how the RWD concept works.

Responsive Web Design FAQ:
http://wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/view ... 10&t=63817
Provene

Master pages/templates

Post by Provene »

Hi, I'm a new WysiWyg builder. I am using your lovely product to help me with responsive web sites and finding it much easier than my previous HTML editor. I am stuck with the master pages/templates though. I am starting a site which has a lot of pages and I want to make sure I can edit and update the navigation across the site easily. I found the instructions on the above and have tried both the template pages and the master page, but neither seem to be updating the two pages I have created with them so far.

Can you help?

The pages are responding well: www.marketingconnections.biz/equinox but the first two menu items (original and hooves) should be linked.

The files (I think these are the files - I'm finding the 'filing' a bit tricky too!) https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ajq8DLQf9ED9hj1CJjs ... t?e=RI3P1c
Pablo

Re: Master pages/templates

Post by Pablo »

You have added the menu twice, on the master page and on the page itself.
The menu in the master page has links, the menu on the page (which overlap the master menu) does not.

Please remove the duplicated menu.
Provene

Post by Provene »

Many thanks for your prompt reply Pablo. I have removed the 'extra' menu as you say (no idea how that got there!) but I have added links to the hooves page and also to the 'home' page in the 320 version on the Master_page and these are not showing on the pages created with them. Should this be happening, or would it be better to use an embedded page for the navigation?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ajq8DLQf9ED9h1qPqAV ... 2?e=GQ4cTE

Updated files in the link above.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The links seems to be ok now.
However, you are not using the master page on the index, so there is still a duplicated menu.

Can you please remove all non-relevant content from the project before sharing it, otherwise it is very confusing for me to know here to look.
Related FAQ:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=82134
Provene

Post by Provene »

As I said Pablo I am struggling with the filing side of this program - it seems to have a mind of it's own with that, but I've had a go at clearing it out for you https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ajq8DLQf9ED9h2v6Be ... 9?e=rtz2mw.

I think what I did was forget to add the Master page to the miscellaneous properties by using the file pointer. I have corrected this, but now the menu is appearing behind the text. I have tried highlighting the text and moving to the 'back' in arrange, and also on the master page used arrange to bring the menu forward, but no joy? I feel like I'm so near with this now.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I do not think the application has a mind of it's own. You have added the duplicated menu yourself.

By design, a master page is always behind all other content. Otherwise you would not be able to place objects on top of it.
However, if you want the drop down menu on top of other elements then you can place it on a page header and set the 'stack level' to 'in front of content'.
Provene

Post by Provene »

Thank you Pablo I will try that. I didn't mean that the program had added the duplicate menu (I make my own mistakes!) - I was referring to the 'filing' which I'm still coming to terms with. It's just a new program thing, I'll get there. I love the ease with which it produces the responsive web designs and I'm also looking forward to exploring the many other functions I can see. Slowly, slowly catchee monkee.
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

If you look in the builder tricks sub forum here, I put up a video of how I create a new site with a master page. That may give you some help.

Alan
Provene

Post by Provene »

Really helpful video, thank you Alan. I find watching a video easier to learn from than reading. Could I ask you a question? Why do you make a 'master page' and a 'clone from page'? Can you not just create pages from the 'master page'? Also do you have You tube channel for WYSIWYG Web builder?
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Master pages are used so that you can change things once and the changes propagate. If you tried to use the master page to clone things, you would lose that.

Here's a quick picture which may make it easier.

Alan
Provene

Post by Provene »

That was really helpful thank you Alan. I've managed to get it all working now. :D