Auto Detect Browser - Flex Grids

Questions related to the Responsive Web Design tools of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/respon ... esign.html
Please read this first before posting any questions! Also check out the example project to get an idea how the RWD concept works.

Responsive Web Design FAQ:
http://wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/view ... 10&t=63817
lpug

Auto Detect Browser - Flex Grids

Post by lpug »

What a huge disappointment that flex grids aren't supported by internet explorer, just as I am progressing through my project I read somewhere on this forum that it's not supported. In saying that is there a way to detect peoples browser and then redirecting them to pages that don't have any flex grids on them?
BaconFries

Re: Auto Detect Browser - Flex Grids

Post by BaconFries »

What a huge disappointment that flex grids aren't supported by internet explorer
Why is it a disappointment when all versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported by Microsoft as of Jan 2016 other than operating system Windows 8.1 which uses IE 11.

The reason that it is not supported is due to the use of CSS3 which requires a "Modern Browser" to which older versions of IE aren't. To do a browser redirect will require either the use of javascript or .htacess.

I personally think you are going to cause yourself double work due to having to design pages that are for IE only and with Flex Grids for all others. I would simply design for all "Modern Browsers" and provide a note to users of IE and older browsers that they need to update so that they can enjoy the full experience of your site.
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

I agree with Baconfries.
lpug

Post by lpug »

So its not unreasonable to just continue on, are flex grids supported with our native browsers such as safari, or samsung browsers....I just tested with samsung seems to be ok.

Is it easier enough to detect the browser and then pop up a message for that user to upgrade to a moden browser? I dont want to pop up for all users?

Thanks in advance.....the flex grids offer so much more.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The 'page redirect' extension can be used to detect browsers and redirect the visitor to another page.
Smee

Post by Smee »

BaconFries wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:47 am Why is it a disappointment when all versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported by Microsoft as of Jan 2016 other than operating system Windows 8.1 which uses IE 11.
For me, it is because my customer is worried that his visitors will have the same experience viewing his site as he did (he has a computer in studio that is still on XP --- and that isn't uncommon in this area). It's important to him as 99%+ of his visitors are local people. So, I started wondering if there might be a solution.

I'm not a coder (unless you want to go back to Power Basic . . . ) but it seemed to me that a simple solution would be something like:

-- determine if the visitor is using IE. If so, pass an argument that builds the page for the 768 pixel viewport. If not, load normally.

Just me, I know I'm a troublemaker sometimes.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The flex grid is a new HTML feature. The functionality is implemented in modern browsers only. You cannot simply implement a fallback on the same page for older browser because the structure of the page is completely different.
However, you can use a redirect script (like the Page Redirect extension) to redirect IE users to another page.
roygore

Post by roygore »

I have a similar problem with Internet Explorer.

I have a website that was created some years ago and works perfectly in IE v11. The website has several pages which have a .pdf document sitting inside an iFrame. See https://www.tringconnections.org.uk/clubs.html View with Internet Explorer if you have it.

I am now recreating the website using WWB and have put the .pdf documents into a Layout Grid, which also works perfectly in modern browsers. See http://connections.rlgconsulting.co.uk/index.html

The problem is: 1) the old website iFrame is not visible in newer browsers and 2) the new documents inside a Layout Grid in WWB is not visible in IE v11.

My solution is to use put the old version of the website into a subdomain of the new website and use the Page Divert mentioned above to detect that a user is using Internet Explorer and redirect them to the old version of the website.

Can someone please advise me what the Page Redirect settings should be? I've read the instructions but am confused.

Thanks for your help.
Roy
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Where exactly do I need to look to see the problem?
roygore

Post by roygore »

Following on from my post - where do I place the Page Redirect in the website.

Thanks
Roy
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Following on from my post - where do I place the Page Redirect in the website.
You can put it anywhere on the page.
roygore

Post by roygore »

Sorry Pablo.

Try this link http://connections.rlgconsulting.co.uk/clubs.html . This is the new website and is what the user should see - ie a frame with a scrollable.pdf document inside.

If you tried to open the same page with IE it would have a blank space where the frame should be. However if I open the old website in IE it works correctly.

Hope that helps.
Roy
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The page does not use an inline frame to display the PDF, but the PDFObject extension. This may not work in IE11
See 'Browser support': https://pdfobject.com/

Note that file names should not have spaces.

Also, note that this has nothing to do with the original topic.
roygore

Post by roygore »

Thanks Pablo

I understand that the pdf object is not supported by IE11.

My initial question, relating to the original topic, is about setting up a Page Redirect to link to the old IE version.

I've read the instructions but am confused about the Page Redirect settings and would like some guidance on setting the Redirect Properties and Redirect Rule.

Roy
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Did you try the suggestion from the documentation?
roygore

Post by roygore »

Sorry for the delay. Had a phone conference to attend.

I will try the suggestion now.

Thanks
roygore

Post by roygore »

Good morning Pablo,

I've had a read of the material on the link but it is probably a little too technical for me. However, I will continue to try and work out a way to display the pdf documents on both old and new browsers as that would be the best solution.

I will also try to get the Page Redirect to work properly as that may have to be my fall back solution as I described previously. At the moment, I can't get it to check for the users browser type - it redirects regardless of the browser type and how I set the properties and rules.

Thanks for your assistance and quick response to my problem.

Roy
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

How did you configure the properties?
Did you use 'Trident'?
roygore

Post by roygore »

Pablo,

Thanks for your reply.

Properties as follows:
Method: JavaScript (window.location.replace)
Rules: Type - Browser URL - https://tringconnections.org.uk/clubs.html
Parameter: redirect

Rules as follows:
Type: Browser (User Agent) Trident/6.0
Redirect to: External Web Address
URL: http://www.tringlocalhistorymuseum.org.uk/

I've tried all 4 different 'Methods' and various combinations of the other settings. Some do nothing and some redirect but none take into account the browser being used.

I have an old laptop running Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 11 and Chrome which I use to test old browsers.

For future reference: How do I add a photo to a post please? What do I do after clicking on the 'Insert image' button at the top?

Roy
roygore

Post by roygore »

To add to the properties above.

When using either of the PHP methods, I set the page properties to php
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Where can i see the page with the script online?

To add an image:
- upload the image to your website or another public server
- include the URL in your post
roygore

Post by roygore »

Hopefully this will let you see the page with the redirect.

https://www.tringconnections.org.uk/clubs.html

Roy
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

This page was not created with WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Are you sure the URL is correct?
roygore

Post by roygore »

If I put the Page Redirect extension on the page then it immediately redirects the page to the redirected site - in this case the old website which as you say was not created in Web Builder.

If I remove the Page Redirect extension then you won't be able to see how I have set it up.

So how do I show you the site? Can I send you the wbs file?

Roy
roygore

Post by roygore »

I will try removing the url for the redirected page and see if that lets you see the page with the redirect extension.
roygore

Post by roygore »

Sorry doesn't seem to work. It still redirects.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

How do you redirect? because the URL does not change.

If you need further assistance then please share a (stripped) copy of the project.
Related FAQ (please read):
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... 10&t=82134

Note that normally I do not give support on (free) extension. But I would not have shared the extension if it did not work.
roygore

Post by roygore »

OK will strip everything out and up load just the relevant pages.

Will get back to you shortly.
roygore

Post by roygore »

I have stripped out everything except the page with the redirect on it.

http://connections.rlgconsulting.co.uk/index.html

I have removed the redirect url or it will automatically redirect and you can't see the page with the Page Redirect extension.

The problem is that it should only redirect when it detects that Internet Explorer is being used.

For your information I am running Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge on my main computer and testing for old browser versions on a laptop running Windows 7 and IE11.

Hope this helps.

I realize that the extension came without support and as a learner I really appreciate all the help you are giving on this.

Thank you very much.
Roy
Last edited by roygore on Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Although, I cannot see your settings based on the published HTML, it looks like you have added (almost) all browsers to the list.
If you want to redirect IE only then you should remove all other browsers.

Also, there is a configuration issue in PDFObject. It looks like the zoom level is set to 0!
roygore

Post by roygore »

I'm mainly concerned about IE but it's probably a good idea to check for all old browsers so would like to leave all old browsers unless that is causing a problem. Does Trident/6.0 cover all version of Internet Explorer?

I have added a page showing the redirect settings I've used. Go to 'redirect-settings on the menu bar at the top. Are all the settings correct? http://connections.rlgconsulting.co.uk/index.html

I'm not technical enough to understand the differences between the Methods. Would you explain the what each one does and the advantages please. Which one should I use for what I am trying to achieve?

I didn't want to enable a zoom feature so left the zoom level at 0. What should it be set to? Could this be causing the problem of the pdf documents not appearing in old browsers?

Roy
Last edited by roygore on Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wwonderfull

Post by wwonderfull »

It maybe possible setting the zoom level 0 will cause issue in both the latest and oldest browsers.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I suggest you first try with 'Trident' only.

The default zoom level is '100', not '0'
roygore

Post by roygore »

Hurray!

Following your suggestion, I removed all the old browsers from the list and left only 'Trident' and it now works as expected.

The list of browsers includes 'Trident/6.0' which makes me wonder if I should specify the version number. Does just using the 'Trident' label cover ALL versions of Internet Explorer? It does seem to work for IE11.

Thank you very, very much for the help you have give to resolve this problem and my understanding of how WWB works, especially as it is a non-supported extension.

I have a background in electronics and computers but am not a trained programmer, so I understand the principles and the basics but sometimes need help with the details.

Thank you again.

Roy

May I suggest that it would be very helpful if the list of browsers was left blank then explain the list of browsers in the HELP instructions. That way future designers won't make the mistakes I have.

Also, it would make a big difference to less technical designers if the HELP instructions explained the 'Methods' and when to use each one.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Does just using the 'Trident' label cover ALL versions of Internet Explorer?
Yes
roygore

Post by roygore »

Great.

Thank you again for all your help.

Roy