Javascript - Show date on page.

This section is for posting questions which are not directly related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Examples of off topics: web server configuration, hosting, programming related questions, third party scripts.

Note that these questions will generally not be answered by the administrators of this forum.
Smee

Javascript - Show date on page.

Post by Smee »

I've used the following script for years with a static page, but the site is being rebuilt with WWB. I've tried to check out the forum, but as it does not allow "search terms in quotes" I can enter javascript and date, but the links are as wide as the web itself.

Here's the script I use. I insert an html fragment placing the code between the head tags. The id of the html fragment is "frag_1" in my old editor. Has worked flawlessly for since 20011, and still works today --- except in WWB I can't move the HTML fragment to a "layout grid" or other container --- centered. If I remove the "style" information, I get nothing at all.

Want to put inside a layout grid so that it moves relative to the grid it's placed in.

Any ideas?

Code: Select all

<div id="frag_1"  style="position:absolute;left:428px;top:478px;width:158px;height:21px;">
	<script type="text/javascript"><!--
function makeArray() {
for (i = 0; i<makeArray.arguments.length; i++)
this[i + 1] = makeArray.arguments[i];
}

var months = new makeArray('January','February','March','April','May',
'June','July','August','September','October','November','December');
var date = new Date();
var day = date.getDate();
var month = date.getMonth() + 1;
var yy = date.getYear();
var year = (yy < 1000) ? yy + 1900 : yy;

document.write(months[month] + " " +day + "," + " " + year);
//--></script>
</div>
Smee

Re: Javascript - Show date on page.

Post by Smee »

Hmm.... moved to off topic?

Well, at least someone read it who was qualified to answer --- even if they did send it to the off topic section.

Wow! Look at all the cool cobwebs!
MGD4me

Post by MGD4me »

In the Toolbox, look for "Ready to use Java scripts". There you will find "Basic Date", which will give you what you need. Drag a box where you would like the date to appear. That's it.

The following script will automatically be inserted for you:

<script>
   var now = new Date();
   var days = new Array('Sunday','Monday','Tuesday','Wednesday','Thursday','Friday','Saturday');
   var months = new Array('January','February','March','April','May','June','July','August','September','October','November','December');
   var date = ((now.getDate() < 10) ? "0" : "") + now.getDate();
   var year = (now.getYear() < 1000) ? now.getYear() + 1900 : now.getYear();
   today = days[now.getDay()] + ", " + months[now.getMonth()] + " " + date + ", " + year;
   var basicdate = document.getElementById('basicdate');
   basicdate.innerHTML = today;
</script>
Smee

Post by Smee »

Thanks! I appreciate your assistance.
Smee

Post by Smee »

Displays in WWB, but in preview there is nothing.

uploaded the page to the server, same thing. Should appear between the "Ashley County News" and the "Local News, Community News" etc.

https://www.ahgweb.com/qlite/news.html
MGD4me

Post by MGD4me »

Me again ...

Did you "draw" a box where you want the date to appear on the web page"

If "yes", double click inside the box and it will preview exactly how the date will appear. The date should also display in your workspace, PLUS Preview mode.

I had a look at your web site, and "something" (tm) is missing. I can see that "Basic Date" has been selected, but no script. Weird !

<div id="wb_JavaScript1">
<div id="basicdate"></div>

</div>
</div>
Whereas, it should look like this:

<div id="wb_JavaScript1">
<div id="basicdate"></div>
<script>
   var now = new Date();
   var days = new Array('Sunday','Monday','Tuesday','Wednesday','Thursday','Friday','Saturday');
   var months = new Array('January','February','March','April','May','June','July','August','September','October','November','December');
   var date = ((now.getDate() < 10) ? "0" : "") + now.getDate();
   var year = (now.getYear() < 1000) ? now.getYear() + 1900 : now.getYear();
   today = days[now.getDay()] + ", " + months[now.getMonth()] + " " + date + ", " + year;
   var basicdate = document.getElementById('basicdate');
   basicdate.innerHTML = today;
</script>

</div>
Smee

Post by Smee »

I've drug the box out, tried putting it on a blank page.

I've drug the box into a flex grid.

I've drug the box into a flex container.

I've drug the box into an HTML fragment.

I've drug the box into a text box.

DOES NOT WORK IN ANY OF THESE WAYS! There must be something I missed. Something that wasn't included in the instructions. Something that wasn't included in the help.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

If you use this code inside a layout grid then you will need to define a font size. The default font-size of a layout grid is zero. So, your code will inherit this from the container.
Also, your code should use relative position/size. You cannot place an absolute element inside a flexible container.

Note that there is no support on custom code. But you code will be inserted "AS IS". So, if it does not work then either the code is invalid or it conflicts with other code on the page.
Smee

Post by Smee »

I'm using the built in java script (ready to use java scripts) in the toolbox.

I've placed it on a page with nothing else on the page, it does not display in any browser.

It does, however, display fine in the editor of both WB 14 and WB 15.

Font size is set to 12 when it is dropped on the page.

This is dropped on a new page. No grid, no other code, no layer, nothing but this javascript.

It must be that there is something else I need to do, but I haven't been able to determine what it is.

Been struggling with inputting this for some time. Stopped for a couple months, going on to other things on this site as well as life hoping that I would figure it out but haven't.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Maybe you have used conflicting settings in Tools -> Options -> HTML ?
Click 'Reset Settings' and try again.

If that does not work then please publish the page so I can see if anything is wrong.
Smee

Post by Smee »

THANKS! The reset solved the problem.

At some point I must have put a check in "generate external JS file for page specific scripts" because it was checked. Don't remember doing it but I must have.