Tap to text

This section is for posting questions which are not directly related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Examples of off topics: web server configuration, hosting, programming related questions, third party scripts.

Note that these questions will generally not be answered by the administrators of this forum.
bry

Tap to text

Post by bry »

I have added code to a webpage to allow tap to text from smart phones. But for some reason this code only works from iPhones and not from my Samsung S7 android.

Any help GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!S Pablo, can you tell me what I have done incorrectly???

Code I added is:

Code: Select all

<a href="sms:+1usaphonenumber&body=Hi%20I'm%20texting%20from%20website!">Tap here to text!</a><br><br>
</span><span style="color:#000000;font-family:'Times New Roman';font-size:48px;">
Pablo

Re: Tap to text

Post by Pablo »

Maybe the samsung s7 does not support it?
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

Is there a reason why the <span> tags are out of order?

Also...should it be '?body' after the number?
bry

Post by bry »

Thanks, could be a mistake. I have worked on this until I am cross eyed. I can make it work with iPhones or androids but not both.

I would greatly appreciate if you would write code the way you think it should be in a reply.

I have tried &, ?, and ; after the cell phone number. Nothing has worked for both iPhone and androids.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Note that you can also use the built-in link functionality and set the link type to 'sms'
Then all you will have to do is specify the phone number (and message)
bry

Post by bry »

Thanks Pablo, I will try that. I am using an automated php page generation system using Microsoft Access. I generate the pages automatically for a database of about 1400 people. The people who want their cell phones shown can also have Tap to Text. So other members can conveniently text them.
bry

Post by bry »

Hi Pablo, The link as you suggested works on Androids but not as desired for iPhones. For both, I am taken to my message texting, but Android shows the message Hi "name", This text message sent from "website".

But on iPhones, in the recipient space after the name, the message is in lower case without spaces between the words:thisisatextmessagesentfrom....

/test12.info/brysms/iphone.jpg
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

This is standard browser functionality, so I do not have any control over how it works. Each browser has its own interpretation of this feature.
Note however that the message should be encoded.
https://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_urlencode.asp
bry

Post by bry »

bry

Post by bry »

I can now make tap to text work on both iPhone and android with the same code. But I can't do it and include a line of text. That was really trick but if I can't make the text appear on BOTH iPhones and androids with the same code, then I have to leave it off.

The code is very simple without the text:

Code: Select all

<a href="sms:+1900-000-0000">Tap to Text!</a><br><br>
The phone number is fake of course.

Thanks