Multiple Paragraphs with a Numbered List after each one

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
daveshep

Multiple Paragraphs with a Numbered List after each one

Post by daveshep »

I'm building a website for my Family History. The 1st & 2nd Generations were easy. Each one had one paragraph for the father & one numbered list for their children. But beginning with the 3rd generation, I have multiple paragraphs because there were multiple male children & each one needs a numbered list for his children. But when I do that all in one text box, after I put in the numbered lists for each person's children, the <p> tag gets removed from all but the first person's paragraph. And when I preview the page, those people end up to the right of the last child in the Numbered List of the person before them.

For example, w/ this in the text box:
TEXT BOX IN WYSIWYG Web Builder
DANIEL SHEPARDSON (John-3, Daniel-2, Daniel-1) married in Attleboro, Mass. (1) Hannah Richardson, 9 December 1725. She d. 26 September 1726, leaving a son. He married (2) Mary Washburn, 9 May 1728. Several of the sons of this family went to Guilford, Vermont. Children recorded in Attleboro:

1. DANIEL SHEPARDSON, b. 5 September 1726.
2. JOHN SHEPARDSON, b. 16 February 1729
3. HANNAH SHEPARDSON, b. 29 December 1730.
4. ZEPHANIAH SHEPARDSON, b. 6 May 1733.
5. STEPHEN SHEPARDSON, b. 11 August 1735.

AMOS SHEPARDSON (John-3, Daniel-2, Daniel-1) married Margaret Pidge, 30 March 1732. He died in Attleboro in his 94th year. The boys of this family followed the sea. Children recorded in Attleboro:

1. AMOS SHEPARDSON, b. 5 May 1735.
2. ZEBEDIAN SHEPARDSON, b. 17 November 1737, d. Seekonk, Mass. 6ii
3. ELIJAH SHEPARDSON, b. 8 May 1741. 6iv
4. NOAH SHEPARDSON, b. 3 April 1745.
5. OLIVE SHEPARDSON, b. 30 June 1752; m. John Macomber of Rehoboth, 10 April 1777.
6. ARAUNAH SHEPARDSON, b. 7 August 1756, drowned at sea.
7. Perhaps also: WILLIAM SHEPARDSON, wrecked between Liverpool and Boston.

This is the HTML code for the text box. Notice that for DANIEL, the <p> tags are around his paragraph but that for AMOS, they do not exist!
TEXT BOX HTML CODE
<div id="wb_Text10" style="">
<p>DANIEL SHEPARDSON (John-3, Daniel-2, Daniel-1) married in Attleboro, Mass. (1) Hannah Richardson, 9 December 1725. She d. 26 September 1726, leaving a son. He married (2) Mary Washburn, 9 May 1728. Several of the sons of this family went to Guilford, Vermont. Children recorded in Attleboro:</p>
<br>
<ul style="list-style-type:decimal;">
<li style="margin:0 0 0 29.33px;">DANIEL SHEPARDSON, b. 5 September 1726.
</li>
<li style="margin:0 0 0 29.33px;">JOHN SHEPARDSON, b. 16 February 1729
</li>
<li style="margin:0 0 0 29.33px;">HANNAH SHEPARDSON, b. 29 December 1730.
</li>
<li style="margin:0 0 0 29.33px;">ZEPHANIAH SHEPARDSON, b. 6 May 1733.
</li>
<li style="margin:0 0 0 24px;">STEPHEN SHEPARDSON, b. 11 August 1735.
&nbsp;
AMOS SHEPARDSON (John-3, Daniel-2, Daniel-1) married Margaret Pidge, 30 March 1732. He died in Attleboro in his 94th year. The boys of this family followed the sea. Children recorded in Attleboro:
&nbsp;
&nbsp;

And this is what the Preview looks like. Notice that AMOS got pulled up at the end of #5 STEPHEN's line & that the numbered list for Amos's children becomes part of the numbered list for Daniel's children.
PREVIEW
DANIEL SHEPARDSON (John-3, Daniel-2, Daniel-1) married in Attleboro, Mass. (1) Hannah Richardson, 9 December 1725. She d. 26 September 1726, leaving a son. He married (2) Mary Washburn, 9 May 1728. Several of the sons of this family went to Guilford, Vermont. Children recorded in Attleboro:

1. DANIEL SHEPARDSON, b. 5 September 1726.
2. JOHN SHEPARDSON, b. 16 February 1729
3. HANNAH SHEPARDSON, b. 29 December 1730.
4. ZEPHANIAH SHEPARDSON, b. 6 May 1733.
5. STEPHEN SHEPARDSON, b. 11 August 1735. AMOS SHEPARDSON (John-3, Daniel-2, Daniel-1) married Margaret Pidge, 30 March 1732. He died in Attleboro in his 94th year. The boys of this family followed the sea. Children recorded in Attleboro:
6. AMOS SHEPARDSON, b. 5 May 1735.
7. ZEBEDIAN SHEPARDSON, b. 17 November 1737, d. Seekonk, Mass. 6ii
8. ELIJAH SHEPARDSON, b. 8 May 1741. 6iv
9. NOAH SHEPARDSON, b. 3 April 1745.
10. OLIVE SHEPARDSON, b. 30 June 1752; m. John Macomber of Rehoboth, 10 April 1777.
11. ARAUNAH SHEPARDSON, b. 7 August 1756, drowned at sea.
12. Perhaps also: WILLIAM SHEPARDSON, wrecked between Liverpool and Boston.

Is it possible to have multiple paragraphs with a numbered list after each one in one text box? In the early generations, having to create a separate text box for each person isn't that bad. But once I get down a few generations, the number of people I'll need paragraphs & numbered lists for will make that a major issue.
Pablo

Re: Multiple Paragraphs with a Numbered List after each one

Post by Pablo »

I recommend to split up large text block into multiple text objects to keep the text manageable.
Note that WWB uses the standard text editor of Windows (richedit). So, as a developer I cannot change the way it works.
wwonderfull

Post by wwonderfull »

Without a demo project not sure what is happening. But In terms of design from my perspective would it not be better to use extensions such as Hierarchy Tree
viewtopic.php?t=98912
You could have also used a tree menu too which is mobile responsive.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

A quick search I came up with the following Shepherdson I believe is his original site which he is trying to replicate with the software. As you will see it is using paragraphs and lists for it layout.
As Pablos reply it is best to break up text see the following How to optimize text for different browsers? reading from Split your text up into multiple (smaller) text objects
Or for a different approach to how to do this see wwonderfulls suggestion.
daveshep

Post by daveshep »

Pablo - Gotcha. So due to the Text Editor that WYSIWYG Web Builder uses, I'm going to have to use multiple text boxes. That's going to be a pain because, as I said, when I get down a few more generations, I can easily have 10 or more people who need paragraphs w/ each one of them having children. Going to end up being a lot of text boxes. Oh well, it is what it is. :-)

wwonderfull - I'll publish it to a Demo Page so you can see. Might not be until tomorrow. However, using a hierarchy chart of tree menu defeats the purpose of someone being able to easily find their ancestor & direct line on the family history. Although I might take that suggestion & make a page that uses that for showing the family tree.

BaconFries - yes, that is my old website. No, I'm not trying to replicate it w/ the software. I'm trying to build a new website which will have some of that same date in it but is going to be more comprehensive pulling in other branches of my family from other sources.
wwonderfull

Post by wwonderfull »

if you want to search the texts then you might have to search it using the browsers ctrl+f features other than that as it is not a page the normal search, we have would not be able aid much on that.

The hierarchical tree was meant for the thing which you are trying to do it is not just suitable but more convenient.

I have made a demo of your page in a more aligned and organized way thankful to baconfries for the findings.

you can see the temporary demo HERE

there are other ways of organizing it too for example in home page you can specify the graph only and when the tree links are clicked it will take them to a dedicated page for broader details. It becomes kind of like Wikipedia but design depends totally based on the amount of content.
Last edited by wwonderfull on Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

When I said replicate I was meaning you wanted to still use large paragraph blocks of text with lists. You can still do so but it is best to break it into smaller sections/parts. To be honest with you and not sound rude currently it just reads as one big paragraph it just flows and flows and... to a visitor it may seem unending.
Take a look at wwonderfulls demo/example of how it looks and reads to the user it has order to its layout and makes it more readable on the eyes. Again not being rude just an observation on how it looks and reads in your older version.
wwonderfull

Post by wwonderfull »

baconfries spoke from heart there even I felt the same seeing it in such an extent I created the demo just for an explanation.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

To carry on take a look at the following ways you could use for your content both are just suggestions nothing more.
Timeline (PAID)
Table of Contents

See the url in Pablos reply of a Template using the table of contents
Pablo wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:52 am Do you mean this?
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/suppo ... pedia.html

This template is using the 'Table of Content' object.