**SOLVED** Master Page menus "on top"?

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
MGD4me

**SOLVED** Master Page menus "on top"?

Post by MGD4me »

I was looking at this sample template: https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/suppo ... iquor.html

I have a website which uses a master page, as a convenient way to have a consistent 'look', from page to page. The master page contains a menu at the top, similar to the template I mentioned. I have about 20 individual webpages which benefit from a common master page header.

Even though the menu layer on the master page is "docked", so that it remains at the top of browser display as the page is scrolled up, eventually as content of the web page reaches the top, it rides over top of the menus, blocking their visibility.

Is there an option that would 'arrange' a master page to be 'on top', so that it is always visible? Or, how does the example template achieve this goal, since when I click on the 'Product Detail', the menus are still present and visible as the page is scrolled upwards.

Perhaps the example template uses a different technique, and I would be interested in learning how.

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by MGD4me on Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pablo

Re: Master Page menus "on top"?

Post by Pablo »

By design, a master page is always in the background otherwise you would not be able to see the page content.
If you want your menu to be always on top then you can make it part of a page header object and set 'stack level' to 'in front of content'.
MGD4me

Post by MGD4me »

I appreciate the prompt reply.

I was afraid that might be the answer, since this would mean that I would need to add a page header menu object to each of the 20 webpages, which I was hoping to avoid. At least I now understand how the template is created, which I didn't before.

Thanks!
andyp

Post by andyp »

I dont know if this helps but I work the same way with Master Page containing the menu

Is it possible that your Mater Page is not at bottom of the list in the Object Manager?

.. just a thought
Making mistakes....and still learning as I go along.. and very grateful to those who know far more than me... :)
http://www.apgraphx.co.uk
crispy68

Post by crispy68 »

I was afraid that might be the answer, since this would mean that I would need to add a page header menu object to each of the 20 webpages,
Why would you need to do that? Just add the page header to the master page and insert your menu.
MGD4me

Post by MGD4me »

Thanks for the tip, Crispy...

Let me look a little deeper into that, and see how that works.

I appreciate it!
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

Have you seen how I do it with my flex based template (viewtopic.php?t=93336)?

If you look here https://www.penninescouts.org.uk/nan.html you will see that as you scroll up, the menu stays there visible all the time. That uses my template. All I did was set the layout grid to 'sticky'.
MGD4me

Post by MGD4me »

@crispy ... Basically, that is what I tried, and several variations.

I was able to include menus in a header, or layer, and have the menus 'stick' to the top of the webpage as the page was scrolled upwards, but then the menus would 'slide' under the webpage content as the content reached the top. Pablo's comment that "By design, a master page is always in the background" re-enforced my observation that THAT is the way a master page works. I was going to have to live with that. :(

@alan_sh... And then alan comes along, and suggests a way to do what I want... I downloaded your template alan, to see how you achieved the results I was looking for. I first looked to see if in fact you were using a master page, which indeed you are. The secret sauce that I was missing, was that you used a layout grid for the sticky menu header, and for some reason, that makes all the difference. By using a layout grid, my menus stay glued to the top of the display as the webpage is scrolled up, AND the content 'slides' under the menus. Now they are always visible. Who would have thought?

So, a BIG thanks for that solution, alan_sh. Maybe I was doing something wrong in my initial approach, but it's working to my satisfaction now, so I will leave it at that!

Thanks! :wink:
alan_sh

Re: **SOLVED** Master Page menus "on top"?

Post by alan_sh »

I'm glad I could help.

cheers

Alan