Creating a userdb (flat file) for newsletter subscribers

Issues related to the Login tools of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/login_basics.html
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/login_tools.html

TIP:
A lot of information about the login tools can be found in the help/manual.
Also checkout the demo template that is include with the software.
Aris

Creating a userdb (flat file) for newsletter subscribers

Post by Aris »

Hello.

A.
I wish to create a flat file (non SQL) database in order to save the subscribers from my newsletter-subscribe page. The fields I am interesting in are the following three fields: First Name, Second Name, email.
Please, take into considerartion that I do not wish a service like MailChimp or something.
Can you advise what I should do?

B.
If you think a SQL is necessary, please note that I have already created a SQL Database with the login tools (signup).
In this case, the question is: can I create with the signup tool SQL database with only these three fields (First name, Last name, email)?
In this case I am not interesting in Password, User name, Confirmation

I hope I have explained to you exactly what I want to achieve.

Thank you.
Pablo

Re: Creating a userdb (flat file) for newsletter subscribers

Post by Pablo »

There is no built-in news letter functionality.
You will need a third party script or service for this.

Note that many webhost do not allow to send bulk emails via scripts.
MGD4me

Post by MGD4me »

A complete 'app' for the creation and distribution of newsletters is available from PHPjabbers, at: https://www.phpjabbers.com/php-newsletter-script/.

Have a look at their working demo, as this might be a solution for you.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

You have previously asked a similar question.
Need of SQL database for newsletter subscription?
onlye

Post by onlye »

MGD4me wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:43 pm A complete 'app' for the creation and distribution of newsletters is available from PHPjabbers, at: https://www.phpjabbers.com/php-newsletter-script/.

Have a look at their working demo, as this might be a solution for you.
I have several customers that are using this. They are happy with it and it is simple to use. They also like that it is not a monthly service charge. And, one customer had newsletters blocked by MailChimp due to content. Since you already have the mysql database installation should be quick and easy.
onlye
Gluckstadt, MS USA
Aris

Post by Aris »

Hi, BaconFries

Let me reproduce your answer to my question with some additional thoughts and questions --with bold-- (I hope I have your patience):

Typically you would use a database for this info.
How do you plan on sending a newsletter?
>>> Here, my knowledge is very pure. I have in my mind the following icon: When I have something new service, I wish to send a newsletter to my subscribers.

What are you using to create the newsletter?
>>> I have not and I do not know some software, except Mailchimp and Phplist (I knew it theese days), although the latter I am afraid that the web host will not allow me to send mass emails.

Will your newsletter read the data in a database and send out the newsletter?
>>> I am interesting only in First name, Second name, and Email of my subscribers.

Or are you doing this manually from your desktop?
>>> I would love to create my own email format to send to my subscribers. But I know that this is almost impossible.[/b

In that case, you wouldn't need a database. You would receive the email and you could add it manually to a spreadsheet for example. Depending on how many people you think may sign up, you may also be able to take advantage of a 3rd party option to integrate into WB like mailChimp. The way you go depends on how exactly you plan on implementing your newsletter.
>>>I think my subscribers will be around 400, maybe more, but not more than 500.

Dear BaconFries,
I hope I conveyed my ignorance and my concern to you. However, I think that more autonomous solutions, i.e. less dependence on other providers, would help me.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

I wish to create a flat file (non SQL) database in order to save the subscribers from my newsletter-subscribe page. The fields I am interesting in are the following three fields: First Name, Second Name, email.
You can create a form with the software with the desired fields required. As for a flat file you can save to a CSV(Comma-Separated Values) file also known as a flat file (database). To try and define this the data is typically saved in a table format with columns of the table and each row is a separate record so by its own merit it is a database just not SQL.
In that case, you wouldn't need a database. You would receive the email and you could add it manually to a spreadsheet for example
As already mentioned the saved CSV is a database (spreadsheet) by its own merit as it contains all the required information you set out in the form which can be read by yourself to send the email(s) to your subscribers.

You will probably have issues with your hosting account if trying to send 400/500 emails all at once and they could and I say could block your account even suspended it as it could be seen as spamming. As already mentioned it may be best to use a third party alternative such as the suggested this way the email is not getting sent directly from your host but by the third party script itself. If you do not wish to use the likes of third party scripts then you will have to write your own to do this.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Thank you Baconfries for the response.

Could you please provide me with some clarifications?

You can create a form with the software [you mean with WEBBUILDER 18? ] with the desired fields required. As for a flat file you can save to a CSV(Comma-Separated Values) file also known as a flat file (database). [This means I need to create a signup form. Correctly;]
To try and define this the data is typically saved in a table format with columns of the table and each row is a separate record so by its own merit it is a database just not SQL.

Thank you again!!!
onlye

Post by onlye »

Have you looked at the Newletter script suggested by two of us? From what I understand from your stated needs it should address:

A form to collect subscribers
The database of subscribers to send Newletters to
The simple HTML editor to create the Newsletter

If you want more "fancier" emails I use MailStyler to create more visually appealing emails for some clients and then use the PHPJabbers Newsletter script to send. A pretty simple copy and paste of the email code into the script newletter editor. THIS IS NOT REQUIRED but I had some clients that wanted more fancy.
onlye
Gluckstadt, MS USA
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

You can create a form with the software [you mean with WEBBUILDER 18? ] with the desired fields required
Yes...see the following;
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forms.html
means I need to create a signup form. Correctly
If you mean that the user fills the form to receive your newsletter then yes you could say it is a signup but it is only used to register for the newsletter nothing else and is separate from any other form (login tools) you have used.

Aris

Post by Aris »

BaconFries, this is the solution i was looking for!

I will try to implement this solution, and I will let you know the results.

Regardless of the results, I want to thank you for your time!