"Switching" Master Pages

All WYSIWYG Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT NOTE!!

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM AND WANT QUICK HELP?
THEN PLEASE SHARE A "DEMO" PROJECT.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html
WYSIWYG Web Builder FAQ
mhinnc

"Switching" Master Pages

Post by mhinnc »

I'm probably overlooking something simple. And I hope what I'm asking is clear enough to make sense.

A master page is created with the name 'master'. The site is built and all pages' use the master page via Page Properties > Miscellaneous.

Then later, having been struck by a moment of 'genius', the master page layout is intended to be modified to make it even more perfect ( :P ). To accomplish this, and so as to not reinvent that wheel, the original master page is 'cloned'.

The original master page is renamed to, say, 'master-old'. The cloned page is then renamed to 'master'.

All of the pages which pointed to the original master page are updated to now use 'master-old'.

Is there a quick and dirty way to change all of the pages' master page name back to 'master' replacing the 'master-old' name, or to prevent the pages from adopting the previous-now-renamed master page name?

Appreciate any/all help.
And if I sometime confound dates and incidents, or tell the same old tale for the twentieth time, think "Oh what a vast field his laboring memory wanders."
wwonderfull

Re: "Switching" Master Pages

Post by wwonderfull »

I think it doesn't effect which one you switch to, there can only be one master page which you can use on any page. Only one master page or frame not multiple master page for one single page. Renaming master page does not have a script it has to be done from WWB or manually from the generated codes.
as you said
All of the pages which pointed to the original master page are updated to now use 'master-old'.
that means for the clone to take effect you dont just have to rename the page but also need the put the new changes in the page which has master page connected with it too. Meaning replacing all pages master frame or page name. Master page does not publish as a page but more as a reusable frame so in web the master page does not exist but for other pages it works more like an iframe or an embed.

There is no dirty way to change the page name back to 'master' replacing the 'master-old' name, or to prevent the pages from adopting the previous-now-renamed, unless you do it (dirty) manually from the code which is hard and messy.

Now if all the page has the old master page name inside WYSIWYG you can change it from PAGE>MULTIPLE PAGE PROPERTIES> select all the pages then go to PROPERTIES and selected your master page for all those pages and easily change it for all pages with the cloned master page. But if the files are already published in the folder of your server then you have to do it manually. Or you can republish just the changes from WWB which is much easier.

That is just in my opinion. I hope others have a solution.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

You can set a different master page for multiple pages via "Multi-page properties"
mhinnc

Post by mhinnc »

Yes, it was overlooked and it was simple. Thanks Pablo.

Also, thanks wwonderful for providing your information!
And if I sometime confound dates and incidents, or tell the same old tale for the twentieth time, think "Oh what a vast field his laboring memory wanders."